Pages

Sunday 25 April 2010

Tournament Report: Martin's Birthday Constructed

Hi folks!

Yesterday was my birthday constructed tournament in Budapest, Hungary. Seventeen players attended the tournament. Some weeks before this I've built a deck based on Hardestadt, who is actually one of my all time favourite vampires. I had a lot of fun playing with the deck so I decided to give him a chance at a tournament. It turned out to be a very good decision!

1st round: Imbued -> Me -> Giovanni bleed -> Ventrue bleed

The imbued recruited a Carlton before I could bring out Hardestadt. My prey's first master card played was a Pentex Subversion on Hardestadt. WTF? Stay calm! My grand prey removed the Pentex with a Daring the Dawn. Yes! The Giovanni deck was working hard on his Vp, so I rescued my grand prey and started to rush the Giovanni vampires. With 11 Immortals this was an easy task. After I ousted my prey I was trying to weaken the Imbued, which just didn't work out. By this time he had an Ivory Bow on the guy with a maneouver and a Talbot's Chainsaw on the other imbued. Unfortunately I ran out of combat cards. My prey and I both tried very hard to kill the Imbued, but we failed. 1 Vp for me GW 3Vp for the Imbued.

2nd round: Setite Chameleon -> Me -> Ventrue bleed -> Anson Ashur -> Ventrue! Grinder

That was a tough table! I didn't bring out a second vampire to support Hardestadt for a long time. There was one thing I knew for sure: I don't want to play against the Anson Ashur deck, so I have to let my prey make that one vp. Since my predator had an untapped Anarch Convert to block my rushes and I didn't see any freak drives I didn't want to rush back. If I kill a Convert he just brings out a another one (I knew he played with 4 Converts) and I loose blood on Hardestadt without having a benefit from it. So I tried to make a deal instead. I told my predator that I won't ever rush him if he doesn't steal my vampires. He agreed, so I put into play a Lodin Olaf Holte and another Prince (can't remember which one). Meanwhile my prey had a deal with the Anson deck: Anson didn't rush him if he won't bleed. Actually at this time it pretty much seemed like the Anson deck will make a sweep, since his prey had no ready vampire and only 4 pool and his next prey the Chameleon deck didn't play any combat defence. Fortunately the Ventrue bleed deck didn't kept the deal and ousted Anson and his next prey in one turn. I think this was the first time in my v:tes carrier that I was happy to see my prey making 2 Vp's. The Chameleon deck played a banishment backwards, which I supported so he could play a big voter cap. In my turn I rushed my prey's vampires. It didn't take me long to kill all his vampires and a Reins of Power helped me to oust him fast. The 1 versus 1 play against the Chameleon deck was pretty tough. He had a Heidelberg Castle and a Robert Carter so he could bleed me for a lot. Fortunately for me I had enough pool, so I managed to win this duel. 1GW 3 Vp's

3rd round: Me -> Assamite vote -> Chameleon -> Ishtarri

I hope I will forget this game very fast. I had too many beers before and I was getting tired. I played so bad that it was a shame. I made mistake after mistake so a big 0 here for me. 1Gw 4 Vp's for the Chameleon deck here.

After this round I realized that I have to do something: eat a lot of food and drink a lot of water. This refreshment helped me to regain some IQ points.

ZHE FINAL: Nadima Wall with Hatch the Vipers -> Dmitra Alastor -> Imbued -> Howler and Setites -> Me

(There were 3 players with 1GW 4Vp's: Nadima, Chameleon and Me, the Chameleon didn't made it to the finals because of the TP's)

This was one of the most boring finals I've ever played. I've got a Pentex on Hardestadt twice. Nothing special happened for more than 1,5 hours. Yawn. A Villein + Giant's Blood (not in the same turn) and a second Villein some turns later helped me to stay in the game with enough pool. I managed to kill a little Setite. Yeah! Non of my attempts to kill a vampire from my prey was successful. After a little more like 1,5 hours the weakest player was the Dmitra Alastor deck. Since he was first seat in the finals and the only player who was in danger of getting ousted he played a Temptation of Greater Power on Nadima. David, who played with Nadima, managed to defend her, but went down to 2 pool. He still could have made his Vp, but made a mistake, which involved blood management and a Form of Mist superior. He failed to oust his prey and ended his turn tapped out with 0 blood on all of his vampires. At this time he had 4 pool again. In my turn I bled him with Hardestadt and managed to put an Enkil Cog on him. Freak Drive! In his turn he had to hunt with all of his vampires. After he was done with hunting I used Enkil Cog to bleed again. Since he couldn't cycle cards he still didn't have a wake card. 1 Vp!!! Soon after this time out!!! Cool, I won a tournament with a multi-rush deck without a single point of damage done to my prey's vampires...

And here is my deck:

Deck Name: Hardestadt eats the world
Created By: Martin "Mephistopheles" Major
Description:
1. Kill titled vampires.
2. Kill everything else.
3. Try to oust with Ancient Influence for added fun.

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 22, Max: 44, Avg: 8,16)
----------------------------------------------
4 Hardestadt cel pro DOM FOR POT PRE11 Ventrue
4 Lodin (Olaf Holte) aus pro DOM FOR PRE8 Ventrue
1 Graham Gottesman obf pre tha DOM FOR7 Ventrue
1 Victor Donaldson for pre DOM 6 Ventrue
1 Emily Carson for pre DOM 5 Ventrue
1 Portia for pre pro 4 Ventrue

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (16 cards)
1 Pentex Subversion
2 Wash
4 Dreams of the Sphinx
4 Villein
1 Giant`s Blood
1 Golconda: Inner Peace
1 Monster
1 Wider View
1 Ventrue Headquarters

Action (14 cards)
2 Abactor
3 Ambush
6 Bum`s Rush
3 Harass

Action Modifier (9 cards)
1 Enkil Cog
8 Freak Drive

Political Action (4 cards)
1 Ancient Influence
1 Reins of Power
2 Parity Shift

Reaction (5 cards)
5 Deflection

Combat (42 cards)
11 Immortal Grapple
11 Claws of the Dead
4 Hidden Strength
4 Unflinching Persistence
2 Rolling with the Punches
2 Superior Mettle
8 Amaranth

by: Mephistopheles

2 comments:

  1. Really fun deck, and I'm surprised it reached the final of a tournament and won, Congrats :) you played it like a pro, man.

    PS: I also have Hardy in a Dmitra/Hardy/Germaine deck XD funn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always turn to Vampire any time i want to. i become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my country. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete